This article is about Kaoru Hyūga for the student click on this link Kaoru Nendo.
Kaoru Igarashi (Igarashi Kaoru 五十嵐 馨) later known as Kaoru Hyūga was the wife Mr. Hyūga, and the mother of Aoi and Natsume. She died from an "accident" years before the story started, because of her rebellion against the academy. Kaoru and Yuka were best friends while their stay in the academy.
Appearance and Personality
Kaoru was a very attractive woman. She had black shoulder-legth hair parted in the middle and had fire-red eyes like her son and daughter. She also was very tall and had a nice figure. Kaoru had the looks and brains in the Academy, which allowed her to become a Hana Hime. Her son, Natsume, resembles her more than his sister, Aoi.
Some people were intimidated by Kaoru at first because of her strong personality, but she was really a caring and kind person, just like her son Natsume. Noddachi mentioned that probably in her life, no one hated Kaoru. Kaoru cared deeply for her friends, especially Yuka Azumi.
Kaoru, however, could have been considered perverted. She was seen making love with another student nearby Yukihara-sensei and Yuka Azumi. Her son, Natsume, inherited her perverted traits; however, they could be considered more vulgar.
She is seen in the past making love to a student (who would later become her husband) when Yukihira and Yuka came into the Special Ability classroom. Kaoru tells Yukihara that he will eat Yuka up. Kaoru then helps Yuka by convincing Hī-sama from the Hana Hime that her Alice could be useful, so that Yuka won't be taken to the Elementary School Principal. Kaoru then encourages Yuka to become stronger knowing that Yuka can not stay in the academy much longer.
Kaoru in her other appearances talk to Yuka about her love life with Yukihira, Narumi, and Shiki. She is the one to take care of Yuka when she escaped and at the end of Chapter 109 she was carrying a baby, Natsume.When she graduated from the academy she gave Yuka her alice stone and became a traveling freelance journalist without a permanent home. Yuka would later use this alice stone to read the ESP's mind in chapter 117.
Kaoru says it has been half of year since she recieved a call from the High School Principal about Yuka's escape and her being pregnant. Her husband tells her not to anything rash since she is also pregnant. Kaoru then senses Yuka in the building and sees her almost in labor. She and her husband help deliver Mikan.
She convinces Yuka not to steal Mikan's alice, as she believes there is a reason they were born alices, and that Yuka should give Mikan a chance. They are forced to run away and be chased numerous times by the academy's people. As her pregnancy progresses, her health declines and she often faints from fatigue, but she keeps it a secret from her husband and Yuka. By the winter, Kaoru becomes ill and Yuka, who feels guilty for burdening Kaoru, leaves to live on her own and gives Kaoru the healing alice stone she got from Subaru. It is later showed that she passed down this stone to Natsume. She died in a car accident involving a truck hitting her car when she was 23. The accident is speculated to be the work of the ESP. This causes Yuka to cut her hair and vows to stop the ESP following Kaoru's death.
In an omake, it shows Kaoru naming her son Natsume when he is born. It was a difficult childbirth and she feared that Natsume had inherited her life-draining alice form because he looks like her. She and her husband are disagreeing over a name; Kaoru wants to name him Kintarou, which her husband says is too traditional (even the baby dislikes it by frowning). She eventually decides to name the baby Natsume after she sees a Natsume tea package her husband bought. She chooses the name because, 1) Natsume is a healthy red fruit and she thought it would be symbolic to his health and Alice, and 2) Kaoru still wanted to have a connection to Yuka by having both of their children named after fruits.
Kaoru had a Memory Manipulation Alice that enabled her to take memory from people, plants, and items. She, like her son Natsume, had a life-shortening alice shape, it was first shown when she was seen coughing up blood like him during the flashbacks.
- In Gakuen Alice volume 21, it is shows that there is a little Omake about parental Yuki (Izumi Yukihira) and Kaoru Igarashi VS Natsume Hyuuga. In the Omake, Kaoru seems to have fun teasing and reading Natsume's mind, and Natsume is a little irritated. It is also shows that Yuki threatens Natsume about him being a pervert toward Mikan.
- Izumi's death had give big impact to many people, including Kaoru Igarashi. She was seen in Chapter 119, holding the photo frame of Izumi, Yuka, Narumi, Shiki, herself and the Special Ability Class students and looked sad after that.
- In an omake chapter it is revealed that she chose the Natsume after looking at a pack of Natsume tea her husband bought. She was intrigued by the healthy fruit and was hopeful in the fact that she would be connected with Yuka as Mikan and Natsume are both names of fruits.
- In an omake where it was a story of Kaoru, baby Natsume and Mr. Hyuuga, it was revealed that her Alice Stone color is the same as Natsume -Red. She claimed that the Natsume fruit has the same color as her Alice stone.
- In fanbook 25.5, Kaoru's profile states that she died at the age of 34; however, this is a typo. It has been identified as a typo because it would mean that up until Mikan had entered Alice Academy, Kaoru had still been alive.